Should You Be Concerned About Smart Home Hacking In Abilene?
In many ways, smart components like security cameras and video doorbells have made our lives more secure. We have the ability to get alerts if a stranger walks up to our front steps, and we can have video segments sent to us when questionable movements are found. Having implements we can access through the internet alerts us to potential risks instantaneously. But there is one main disadvantage. The access we enjoy is also cracking a door open for online invasions.
Although you shouldn’t get yourself in a panic fretting over smart home hacking in Abilene, you ought to be aware of the risk involved and take steps to circumvent it.
Ways To Protect Yourself From Smart Home Hacking
It seems that practically everything is joined to the internet today - home security components, televisions, and even your home appliances like ovens and fridges. This also generates more avenues for cyber criminals to sneak into your network. With that being said, you don’t have to eschew wireless home protection packages or other smart devices. Instead, abide by these suggestions and do your part to keep intruders out of your network.
- Create strong passwords: This is a necessity for all accounts, including your wireless configuration. Use upper and lower casing and a mix of letters, numbers, and acceptable special characters. Stay away from birth dates, street names, or anything else hackers could easily determine. A password fabricator will provide something completely random and password management software may help you track your many passwords and accounts.
- Avoid default settings: When hooking up that new router, chances are it will come with a preprogrammed password to facilitate the setup. Adjust it immediately. Hackers may know these default settings as well. Establishing your Wi-Fi network and new router correctly in the beginning will go a long way to keeping you secure.
- Create more than one network: Why have your smart range, your home security components, and the laptop you use for work on a single network? The majority of routers permit you to initiate a separate guest network. Take advantage of it and shield personal material found on your desktop, laptop, and phone.
- Consider installing a firewall: Firewalls aren’t just for businesses. They may also be incorporated into your personal network. Firewalls are able to keep an eye on your network’s traffic and stop questionable activity. You could opt for a router with an integrated firewall.
- Choose the most up-to-date encryption standards and security protocols: If you own a recently manufactured router, you will likely have the ability to use WPA3, the current wireless security protocol. If that’s not available, WPA2 with AES encryption will do the job. You should install home security components that feature 128-bit encryption or higher.
- Make sure software and firmware is updated: Keep your software and firmware up to date for all components, and that includes your connected camera surveillance. In some cases, these updates will patch vulnerabilities and improve your network security.
Be Cautious of Shoddy Smart Home Devices In Abilene
Respected brands like ADT and Amazon have their reputation to maintain and are more likely to rectify a security flaw in their components. Other off-the-shelf options may not be quite as diligent. Getting your surveillance systems, video doorbell, smart thermostat, and other items from a single reputable company like ADT is a wise choice. And deciding to have all of your equipment connected at once will go a long way to ensuring proper implementation, security, and performance. It’s important to note that ADT Command, the central touchpad interface, utilizes two-way encryption when engaging with with your smart devices.
Design Your Own Abilene Home Security System
As you now have more knowledge on how to keep your private network shielded from hackers, It’s the right moment to get started on your own smart home security system in Abilene. The security professionals at Secure24 Alarm Systems will help you create the perfect package for your family. Call (325) 313-2016 or fill out the form to take your protection to a new level.