What Causes House Fires In Abilene
When you’re a homeowner, one of the biggest threats to your home and family members is the chance of fire. The U.S. Fire Administration calculated in 2019 that American homeowners suffered approximately $1.6 billion in costs due to accidental or careless fires. The terrible truth is fires are unexpected and many times preventable -- with a little knowledge of where to start. And, luckily, you are equipped with a monitored fire alarm that sends you emergency responders ASAP if you undergo an emergency.
What Causes House Fires In Abilene?
Fires may start in any spot with no warning in the house. However, you can lower the danger of a house fire if you take countermeasures around the following items:
- Stoves and Ovens: Cooking is far and away the leading cause of a house fire in Abilene. Kitchen-related flames typically start when the kitchen goes ignored while cooking food. Water used on a grease fire only works to escalate a flame that would alternatively be easily handled.
- Candles: Nodding off in a space with a lit candle is dangerous, even when you use a high-sided candle holder. The flame is more than capable of catching a curtain on fire if left near a window, and animals can knock candles over. The National Fire Protection Association projects that more than 7,600 properties were damaged due to candle-related incidents between 2014-2018.
- Electrical wires: Faulty electrical circuit interrupters, “tamper-resistant” electrical outlets, degrading or improperly installed lighting, and cut lamp cords are all prone to sparks. Be careful not to overburden your outlets or plug an item in with exposed wires. On the off chance you hear popping or catch a whiff of smoke from the outlet, power down the breaker off prior to investigating.
- Space Heaters: Skip over coiled space heaters because junk, like dust bunnies, old papers, or covers can accidentally make contact and spark up. However, you need to make sure to oversee fan and ceramic space heaters for the entire duration of operation.
- Cigarettes: Just in 2014, U.S. fire departments fought blazes in more than 17,000 residence fires caused by cigarettes, cigars, and pipes. If you have tobacco products who partakes inside, ensure they never take a nap with a cigarette or lay in bed with one. And fully extinguish your cigarette before you throw it into a trash can.
A Monitored Smoke Detector Does Brings Help Quickly When You Have A Fire
If a fire does start, you will need to have an effective warning system to alert your family members as soon as possible. A traditional smoke alarm is adequate but is limited to alerting you if smoke is really billowing. A cutting-edge fire alarm -- a piece of equipment that's pair with your home security system -- is able to discover both smoke and rising temperatures and has more features to ensure everyone’s safety.
A monitored fire alarm has many means it can alert you of rising heat. Your alarms will notify your family with a high-decibel alarm and a notification to your smartphone. That’s when your always-on monitoring experts reaches out to the fire department. And if you find yourself somewhere in which you aren’t able to race you your house when a fire starts, you can rest assured that your monitoring agent will facilitate contact between you and first responders.
Get Your Monitored Fire Alarms From Secure24 Alarm Systems
The chance of house fires in Abilene should never be written off, but you can rest easier if you have a monitored fire alarm on the premises. Contact Secure24 Alarm Systems, and we’ll help you get all the smoke detectors you need with a comprehensive home security system. Call (325) 313-2016 or send in the form below to begin.